Saturday, December 15, 2012

Dreamweaver Post

     We had to create a website through the Dreamweaver software. This website is primarily used to showcase the creator, and their talent. You can present whatever you want on this website design because people will be able to view your content, and more importantly learn about you.
     As a promotional tool, I want this website to show the best aspects of my life on a professional level. My major is media production, and I wanted to showcase some of the work that I completed in the past. I love to write so I posted some of the reviews I’ve composed over the last year. I wrote those reviews for a video game website because it would be a lifelong dream if I could work in the video game industry after I receive my college degree. I also posted some PDF files from projects that I composed in my graphic communication class. I took this class primarily for the credit, but I enjoyed that class a lot because I was able to complete projects that were important to me.
     Throughout the semester, we had various projects which implemented social media platforms as the basis for our projects. The first social media project was based on Facebook. This Facebook project was primarily used a mock up promotional tool to show our classmates we could promote various companies with proper video, photos, and event information. Facebook is one of the best platforms for advertising because it’s absolutely free to promote yourself or your company. The next social media project we had to complete used Twitter. Twitter is easily accessible, and anyone can make an account on there. All of the students had to follow and respond to one another so we could see how instantaneous Twitter really is. People constantly tweet so there’s hardly ever a dull moment on Twitter. These two social media projects tie into our personal website project perfectly because nothing is static on the internet. These sites constantly update, and that’s how we have to be if we want to stay relevant in this day and age. By using the proper promotional tools, more and more people will have access to you and your content. With that kind of accessibility, your audience will continue to grow and you never know where your path may take you.
     Dreamweaver is a type of editing software by Adobe. This software is primarily used to design website layouts, and you can even make your website public for a small fee. This wasn’t my first time using the software because I used it at Daemen College when I was a freshman. This software is confusing if you don’t know what you’re doing. Once you have some of the basics down, you can create a decent looking website. One thing that’s great about this website is that you can create a website as simple or as sophisticated as you want. One thing you have to make sure of is that your code is aligned properly. If there are any errors with your design, the website will not come out right at all. Initially we had to draw a layout for our website so we could know where we going to place our content. I didn’t follow my design fully. Once I found a layout I liked, I decided to use that one. I found it easier to post the content as you went through each individual page. As I mentioned earlier, you could add more sophisticated elements to your website, but it was too much of a hassle to do. I remember the night this project was due, I didn’t leave Buffalo State College until 10:40PM. I was exhausted by that point, and I know some of my fellow students were still working on their project once I left. I think the easiest part of designing the website was gathering the content you wish to publish. I knew what content I wanted to use beforehand. The only problem I had with posting the content was the amount of content I could post on my portfolio. This goes back to my previous point of making sure your code doesn’t have an errors associated with it. Whenever I tried to add more than four images, my formatting would go all over the place. My header wouldn’t keep its dimensions, and my images wouldn’t keep their dimensions either. It was really strange so I decided to only use four images so my page would keep a consistent view with the other pages. I also wanted to have a different background for each page so I was able to find the images through Google. It wasn’t too difficult to add them to my website.
    Overall my experience with Dreamweaver went better than expected. There are some annoyances with the software, but it’s nothing that you’ll pull your hair out over.

No comments:

Post a Comment